Cristiano Ronaldo


Cristiano Ronaldo landed uncharted territory as he joined Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr in a 'jackpot deal.' His move to the Middle East as a professional footballer did raise quite a few eyebrows, but Ronaldo seemed to have had his reasons. As he arrived at his new club on Tuesday, the Portuguese superstar described himself as a "unique player."

The Portuguese forward, 37, has signed a huge deal estimated at 200 million euros after glittering spells at Manchester United, Juventus, and Real Madrid.

Ronaldo told the media at Al Nassr's Mrsool Park stadium, "I'm a unique player. It's good to come here. I broke all the records there, and I want to break a few records here."

He added that "I'm coming here to win, to play, to enjoy, to be part of the success of the country and culture of the country."

As a result of the 'lack of interest' in Ronaldo's services, he ultimately signed for a Saudi Arabian club instead of continuing in Europe. However, he turned down a swathe of offers from Europe and elsewhere to join the Saudis, according to the 5-time Ballon, d'Or winner.

"In Europe, my work is done," he said, adding: "I had many offers in Europe, many in Brazil, The United States, Australia, even in Portugal.

"Many clubs tried to sign me, but I gave my word to this club for the opportunity to have football and be part of this amazing country. And for me, it was a challenge," he said.

In a vast gathering, Ronaldo has already been introduced as an Al-Nassr player. He could be available for selection in the club's next match on January 05 but is unlikely to feature as he has yet to complete training sessions.