Suryakumar



On Wednesday, Suryakumar Kumar said that his elevation to the post of vice-captain of the national side seems like a dream for him, and he would continue to play his natural game without being burdened by the added responsibility. During the series against Sri Lanka that starts in Mumbai next year, Indian selectors made significant changes to the national white-ball set-up by appointing Hardik Pandya as captain and Suryakumar as his deputy.

Senior players such as Virat Kohli, KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma did not find a place in the squad for the series.

Surya told reporters that "It (vice-captaincy) was not expected. I can only say it's kind of a reward for how I (have) played this year. It feels good, and I'm looking forward to it."

After receiving the team list from his father, Surya was in complete disbelief. "My dad is always active on social media. He forwarded me the list and sent me a short message -- 'do not take any pressure and enjoy your batting'.

Later he added, "For a moment, I closed my eyes and asked myself, 'is this a dream?' It's a great feeling."

Surya said, "I have always had responsibility and pressure. I enjoy my game, and I don't carry any extra baggage.".

"It's simple. I keep (leave) all my thinking at the team hotel and the nets. Whenever I'm batting, I just go out there to enjoy my game."